The SNMP stands for the simple network management protocol. it is the protocol based network management system. The SNMP is used widely to manage the TCP/IP-based and IPX-based networks. If you want to manage your network in the better way and you want anything for the monitoring of the network, you need to use the SNMP. It can be used for the monitoring of various Juniper, Cisco, Avaya, Microsoft and many other vendor devices. The working of the SNMP
is very simple and it requires a management station and an agent for the working.
The management station is basically software and it is used to collect the information from the network.The management stations can be very simple and very complex too. The agent is required in the system on which you want to monitor the network. The agent will collect the information from that system and will send the information to the management station. The agents can also send the notifications to the management station if the system has any error.
The SNMP agents are very useful for the hosts and these have the following applications for the user:
• Read or write capabilities: The SNMP provides the write and read capabilities to the user for the device configurations. The user can also reset the passwords and can reconfigure the IP address remotely by using the SNMP.
• Information of the bandwidth: The SNMP provides the ability to get the information for the user about any system. The user easily collects the information that how much of the bandwidth is being used by the system using SNMP counters.
• Collection of error reports: This network is also very useful for the collection of the error reports. It can be also used for the troubleshooting in case of any error. It is also used to identify the trends.
• Alert on low space: The SNMP is used to know about the disk space. It automatically sends the email or SNMP Trap
to the user if the system has low disk space. So you can get the alert for the low disk space.
• Monitor the server use: This system is also used to monitor the use of the server. The SNMP is used to track the usage of the CPU and the memory of the system. You will also get the SNMP Trap alert if the system is exceeding the usage limit.
• Report on device failure: SNMP is capable to send the text message or the page in case of the device failure. It is also capable to send the report to the management station if the system has any error.
The SNMP traps are used in the system to track the abnormal conditions and to notify the management system about it. So it is very good system to configure the errors of system and you can manage the system in best way.
The SNMP test
. is also used to debug the SNMP configuration. The tester helps the user to debug the various problems in the system. So with all these applications and features, the SNMP provides the best options for the network management.