Core business activities and critical decisions are now being made using some form of software or application. With almost every industry embracing the use of these kinds of programs, and more and more users adapting to mobile app lifestyles, it is high time to upend old traditions and make software development centre stage in business planning. For those who are watching software development trends closely, here are some important predictions you should know about for the coming year.
• Custom software product development
has truly reached its tipping point and a major convergence of its most important dynamics can be expected—namely, design, product development, testing, and open-source development.
• Design thinking is expected to transform different product development processes. This involves creating multi-disciplinary groups, ranging from managers to developers, UX experts, quality analysts, and other professionals to help plan a holistic approach and perspective to problems and issues, while creating product according to customer stories, and developing prototypes, fast to test drive new ideas. Design-thinking approach provides a greater emphasis on the end user and its target market.
• Product development will also be driven by big data, which helps generate a richer perspective on user activity or product usage. Organisations, through different web applications, now can collect data about their customers, partners, and all other business activities, which they can use to improve service. This will continue to be a rising trend, leading to big data commercialisation.
• More sophisticated testing methods will arise to create even greater product experiences. This will help businesses entice and delight users while providing all basic and advanced functionalities that they need.
• Product development will also incorporate open source resources for greater agility and quality. Open source components that can be reused for product development abound, giving developers tremendous advantage for speeding up the development process.